06 Apr Southampton v Liverpool Match Report, 05/04/2019, Premier League
Naby Keita scored his first Liverpool goal but it was Mohamed Salah and Jordan Henderson who fostered the Reds’ Premier League title hopes.
Mohamed Salah scored a brilliant solo goal and Jordan Henderson struck overdue as Liverpool won 3-1 in Southampton to go back over Manchester City in the Premier League title race.
Liverpool had a Hugo Lloris mistake to overcome Tottenham 2-1 final time outside and they rode their luck again in St Mary’s Stadium on Friday, Jurgen Klopp’s side revealing their nerves.
Shane Long’s 50th Premier League goal had place Southampton right into an early lead but Naby Keita’s initial attack for Liverpool guaranteed the scores were level in the period.
Salah’s dry spell was well-documented but he finished his eight-game await a target at the 80th moment, embarking on a very long solo run before completing beautifully.
And Jordan Henderson subsequently made certain of this win for the Reds with four minutes to proceed by turning home a Roberto Firmino low cross, as Klopp’s guys went two points clear on top, albeit having played a match over City.
Games carried to internet 50 @premierleague targets for the Reds…
— Liverpool FC (@LFC) April 5, 2019
Liverpool created a slow beginning and Southampton led at the ninth minute.
Ryan Bertrand has been given an excessive amount of time and room to deliver a left wing cross which Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg flicked on in the near post, together with Long left unmarked to sweep house.
Sadio Mane led a free header straight in Angus Gunn in reaction before Virgil van Dijk turned another harmful Bertrand cross over his own crossbar.
Gunn was defeated at the 36th moment, however, Liverpool maintaining Southampton pegged in and Keita heading house Trent Alexander-Arnold’s cross in the conclusion of a sustained period of stress.
James Milner and Henderson was left from the beginning line-up by Klopp however he turned into the duo early in the second half as Liverpool fought to split Southampton down.
Keita appealed for a penalty but seemed to go down smoothly under Maya Yoshida’s struggle, together with Liverpool needing Salah to violate his salvation to nudge ahead.
The goal came from a Southampton corner, with Henderson sending Salah on a long run throughout the Saints half, the Egypt forwards keeping cool to conquer Gunn from the border of the box.
Southamptonnot sure of avoiding relegation, needed to throw men forward in search of an equaliser and Liverpool duly murdered the match using a clinical break, Firmino teeing up Henderson since the Reds moved back over City.
— Liverpool FC (@LFC) April 5, 2019
What exactly does it mean? Stress back on Town
Since Liverpool fought in the second half, it appeared like the benefit goes to City.
But alternatively, Pep Guardiola’s side is going to need to wait before a week on Sunday to react to Liverpool’s newest late series, if the defending winners visit Crystal Palace.
The name race seems to visit the cable and the battle against relegation can do exactly the same, together with Southampton still just five points clear of the bottom three after surrendering their direct.
Salah finds kind
Liverpool’d been not able to get Salah from the match for big intervals but when a opportunity to extend his legs eventually came in the final stages, the forwards demonstrated he has ice in his veins.
Salah bristled in midweek at ideas his operation levels have dropped this expression and he may just have a stage. This is his 18th Premier League goal of the season, with just Sergio Aguero more successful.
In case Salah can fire at the forthcoming weeks, then Liverpool’s hopes of European and domestic glory is going to be boosted.
Gunn misfires in Saints target
Previously of Manchester City, 23-year-old goalkeeper Gunn could have expected to perform his previous team a favour at the title race.
However he really wants to have done with Keita’s equaliser, getting down quickly enough to obstruct the header but just achievement in parrying the ball into his own aim.
Post continues under
There was little that he can do about Salah and Henderson’s late objectives, however.
Crucial Opta Facts
– Liverpool have conquered Southampton in four consecutive league matches for the first time at the club’s foundation.
– Southampton have lost 23 points from top places in the Premier League this year, more than any other facet in 2018-19.
– After their come-from-behind success, Liverpool have won 16 points from losing places from the Premier League, the maximum of any side this year.
– Liverpool became the seventh team in English top-flight background to concede 5000 such aims following Everton, Manchester City, Aston Villa, Newcastle, Sunderland and Arsenal.
– Henderson is your primary Premier League substitute to score a goal, help a target and get a yellow card because Graziano Pelle did so against Crystal Palace back in May 2016.
– Keita’s purpose for Liverpool was his first Premier League goal of the season out of that which had been his 23rd shot at the contest. Really, he’s the next player from Guinea to evaluate such a target following Kamil Zayatte and Titi Camara.
– Long is the fourth player in the Republic of Ireland to enroll 50 Premier League targets, together with Niall Quinn (59), Robbie Keane (126) and Damien Duff (54).
What is next?
Liverpool are back in Anfield on Tuesday for its first leg of the Champions League quarter-final with Porto prior to hosting Chelsea in the Premier League five times afterwards. Southampton’s next match is at home to Wolves at the league on Saturday.