06 Apr Southampton v Liverpool Match Report, 05/04/2019, Premier League
Naby Keita scored his first Liverpool objective however it was Mohamed Salah and Jordan Henderson who boosted the Reds’ Premier League title hopes.
Mohamed Salah scored an excellent solo objective and Jordan Henderson struck late as Liverpool gained 3-1 at Southampton to maneuver again above Manchester Metropolis within the Premier League title race.
Liverpool wanted a Hugo Lloris error to beat Tottenham 2-1 final outing and so they rode their luck once more at St Mary’s Stadium on Friday, Jurgen Klopp’s facet displaying their nerves.
Shane Lengthy’s 50th Premier League objective had put Southampton into an early lead however Naby Keita’s first strike for Liverpool ensured the scores have been stage on the interval.
Salah’s dry spell has been well-documented however he ended his eight-game look forward to a objective within the 80th minute, embarking on a lengthy solo run earlier than ending fantastically.
And captain Jordan Henderson then made positive of the win for the Reds with 4 minutes to go by turning residence a Roberto Firmino low cross, as Klopp’s males went two factors clear on the high, albeit having performed a recreation greater than Metropolis.
Video games taken to internet 50 @premierleague targets for the Reds…
— Liverpool FC (@LFC) April 5, 2019
Liverpool made a gradual begin and Southampton led within the ninth minute.
Ryan Bertrand was given an excessive amount of time and house to ship a left-wing cross that Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg flicked on on the close to publish, with Lengthy left unmarked to brush residence.
Sadio Mane directed a free header straight at Angus Gunn in response earlier than Virgil van Dijk turned one other harmful Bertrand cross over his personal crossbar.
Gunn was crushed within the 36th minute, although, Liverpool conserving Southampton pegged in and Keita heading residence Trent Alexander-Arnold’s cross on the finish of a sustained interval of strain.
James Milner and Henderson had been unnoticed of the beginning line-up by Klopp however he turned to the duo early within the second half as Liverpool struggled to interrupt Southampton down.
Keita appealed for a penalty however appeared to go down simply beneath Maya Yoshida’s problem, with Liverpool needing Salah to interrupt his drought to nudge forward.
The objective got here from a Southampton nook, with Henderson sending Salah on a future by way of the Saints half, the Egypt ahead conserving cool to beat Gunn from the sting of the field.
Southampton, not but positive of avoiding relegation, needed to throw males ahead looking for an equaliser and Liverpool duly killed the sport with a scientific break, Firmino teeing up Henderson because the Reds moved again above Metropolis.
— Liverpool FC (@LFC) April 5, 2019
What does it imply? Stress again on Metropolis
As Liverpool struggled within the second half, it appeared just like the benefit would go to Metropolis.
However as an alternative, Pep Guardiola’s facet should wait till every week on Sunday to answer Liverpool’s newest late present, when the defending champions go to Crystal Palace.
The title race seems to be set to go to the wire and the struggle towards relegation may do the identical, with Southampton nonetheless solely 5 factors away from the underside three after surrendering their lead.
Salah finds kind
Liverpool had been unable to get Salah within the recreation for giant durations however when an opportunity to stretch his legs lastly got here within the closing phases, the ahead confirmed he has ice in his veins.
Salah bristled in midweek at strategies his efficiency ranges have dropped this time period and he would possibly simply have some extent. This was his 18th Premier League objective of the season, with solely Sergio Aguero extra prolific.
If Salah can fireplace within the coming weeks, Liverpool’s hopes of home and European glory will likely be boosted.
Gunn misfires in Saints objective
Previously of Manchester Metropolis, 23-year-old goalkeeper Gunn would have hoped to do his outdated membership a favour within the title race.
However he actually must have accomplished higher with Keita’s equaliser, getting down low shortly sufficient to dam the header however solely succeeding in parrying the ball into his personal objective.
Article continues beneath
There was little he may do about Salah and Henderson’s late targets, nevertheless.
Key Opta Info
– Liverpool have crushed Southampton in 4 successive league video games for the primary time within the membership’s historical past.
– Southampton have now misplaced 23 factors from main positions within the Premier League this season, greater than some other facet in 2018-19.
– Following their come-from-behind victory, Liverpool have now gained 16 factors from dropping positions within the Premier League, probably the most of any facet this season.
– Liverpool grew to become the seventh membership in English top-flight historical past to concede 5000 such targets after Everton, Manchester Metropolis, Aston Villa, Newcastle, Sunderland and Arsenal.
– Henderson is the primary Premier League substitute to attain a objective, help a objective and obtain a yellow card since Graziano Pelle did so towards Crystal Palace again in Might 2016.
– Keita’s objective for Liverpool was his first Premier League objective of the season from what was his 23rd shot within the competitors. Certainly, he’s the third participant from Guinea to attain such a objective after Kamil Zayatte and Titi Camara.
– Lengthy is the fourth participant from the Republic of Eire to register 50 Premier League targets, together with Niall Quinn (59), Robbie Keane (126) and Damien Duff (54).
Liverpool are again at Anfield on Tuesday for the primary leg of their Champions League quarter-final with Porto earlier than internet hosting Chelsea within the Premier League 5 days later. Southampton’s subsequent recreation is at residence to Wolves within the league on Saturday.