20 Jul PSG, Atletico Madrid retaining tabs on Liverpool’s Jordan Henderson
Euro 2020 and the Copa America are over and the summer transfer window is open, leaving Europe’s biggest clubs clear to make a splash in the market. Check out the latest gossip below, and see all official deals here.
TOP STORY: PSG, Atleti eye Henderson talks
Jordan Henderson is facing an uncertain future with Liverpool amid stalled contract talks, which could prompt a move for the midfielder from Atletico Madrid or Paris Saint-Germain.
The Daily Mail reports that contract talks between the two parties have broken down for the time being, leaving the club captain’s future up in the air with two years left on his deal.
The situation could cause a move for the 31-year-old from both Atletico and PSG, who are both said to be monitoring the situation.
Jurgen Klopp and the Anfield hierarchy are said to be cautious of another player leaving in similar fashion to Georginio Wijnaldum, who left the Reds on a free following failed contract extension talks.
PSG manager Mauricio Pochettino is said to be an admirer of Henderson’s, liking his aggressive style on the pitch.
A move from Les Parisiens would sum up their own aggressive recruitment this summer, potentially adding the midfielder to the likes of Sergio Ramos, Achraf Hakimi, Gianluigi Donnarumma and former Liverpool teammate Wijnaldum.
For Atletico Madrid, the England international’s qualities fit well with Diego Simeone’s system. It would see a potential reunion with Luis Suarez in the stadium in which Henderson lifted the Champions League with the Reds back in 2019.
– Stream Football4cast FC Daily on Football4cast+ (U.S. only)
– Don’t have Football4cast? Get instant access
08.00 BST: Manchester United are set to seek a solution to their interest in Real Madrid defender Raphael Varane before turning their attention to other targets to ensure they stay within their budget for the summer transfer window, sources have told Football4cast’s Rob Dawson.
United have been encouraged that a deal for Varane is possible after entering into negotiations with the Frenchman’s representatives over personal terms. Once an agreement is in place, they will look to begin talks with Madrid over a fee but sources have told Football4cast that funds are limited after committing £72.9m on a deal for Jadon Sancho.
Reports in Spain have suggested Madrid would accept around €50m for the 28-year-old, who has entered the last year of his contract, but there have been suggestions at Old Trafford that even that would be too high and a compromise would have to be found.
Because of the financial constraints, United will first assess what it will take to bring in Varane — the top target for Solskjaer and the recruitment team — before deciding whether it is possible to pursue other targets.
• Barnwell’s best moves: 100-51 | 50-1
• January transfer grades
• Latest completed major transfers
– Manchester City are interested in signing promising young left-back Nuno Mendes, according to journalist Fabrizio Romano. The 19-year-old impressed for Sporting CP this season, incomes a Portugal debut in March and a call-up to the European Championships squad. Sporting have reportedly set a €50m valuation on the full-back, which Metropolis usually are not at present prepared to match with their valuation nearer to the €30 million mark.
– Everton have made winger Dwight McNeil their high transfer goal this summer season, stories the Mirror. The 21-year-old joins plenty of focused broad gamers for brand spanking new Toffees boss Rafa Benitez, who’s on the lookout for gamers to assist the towering Dominic Calvert-Lewin up entrance. The England Beneath-21s worldwide nonetheless has three years left on his deal, which means Burnley might demand greater than £30m for the participant’s providers. McNeil has practically registered 100 league appearances regardless of his age, impressing many with 23 aim involvements in that point.
– Barcelona are concerned about Manchester United midfielder Donny Van de Beek, in keeping with Mundo Deportivo. Ronald Koeman’s aspect have reportedly been out there for a midfielder with hyperlinks to Wijnaldum, Saul and Renato Sanches over the previous few months. Van de Beek is now linked with the Catalan giants in a proposed mortgage transfer. The 24-year-old has seen little motion in a United shirt since becoming a member of for roughly £35m in September final yr however Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has prompt the midfielder will not depart completely, making a mortgage deal extra probably.
– Napoli have set a €30m valuation on winger Lorenzo Insigne ought to he reject a brand new contract this summer season. Corriere dello Sport stories that his present membership are set to supply a brand new deal to the 30-year-old, who has one yr left on his deal, however they’ve a backup plan to maneuver him on ought to the supply be turned down. The Napoli captain helped the Azzurri to a European Championships victory this summer season, scoring twice in six appearances which can have attracted extra curiosity. Nonetheless, he’s a very long time fan of his membership, coming by way of the youth ranks all the way in which to captaincy.
– Atletico Madrid are eyeing a transfer for Wolverhampton Wanderers striker Rafa Mir, in keeping with the Day by day Mail. The 24-year-old solely has a yr left on his present deal within the Midlands and his spectacular kind on mortgage at Huesca has attracted the Spanish champions, who’re on the lookout for a backup ahead. The participant scored 13 targets with Huesca final season however hasn’t made a league look for Wolves in practically three years. New boss Bruno Lage could be prepared to let the participant go and views Barcelona’s Martin Braithwaite as an potential substitute.