29 Apr Manchester United v Chelsea Match Report, 28/04/2019, Premier League
David de Gea’s most up-to-date mistake intended Chelsea took some point against Manchester United to remain in charge of this top-four race.
Chelsea guaranteed the race to get a spot at the Premier League’s best four stays in their hands following a 1-1 draw with Manchester United at Old Trafford.
Another mistake from David de Gea enabled Marcos Alonso to cancel out Juan Mata’s opener and assert what might be an important stage in the quest for Champions League qualification.
United began the day knowing anything less than a win will leave them wanting a couple of temptations from the last two games of this year, plus they deservedly went forward in the first half after making a much superior performance than they’ve handled in their latest series of seven defeats in nine matches in all competitions.
However De Gea, that left expensive mistakes from Barcelona and Manchester City in recent matches, talented Alonso a very simple finish that may prove fatal to United’s top-four hopes.
United’s quick beginning yielded a target afterwards 11 moments – their initial from open play since April two – if Mata, on his 31st birthday, turned in Luke Shaw’s cutback after a nice pass from Romelu Lukaku.
Chelsea reacted with a span of ownership, but the remembered Eric Bailly might have made it 2-0 with a header that he glanced only past the post.
The traffic were able to draw amount moments before the rest, however, since Alonso squeezed in the rally after De Gea failed to maintain Antonio Rudiger’s speculative strike from 35 metres out.
3 – David de Gea has made three mistakes resulting in goals in his past four matches in all competitions for Manchester United – as numerous as in his past 123 matches united with the Red Devils. Sloppy. #MUNCHE pic.twitter.com/Tbq59cYSU7
— OptaJoe (@OptaJoe) April 28, 2019
The second half has been interrupted by a series of injury issues, with Rudiger and Marcus Rashford incapable to resist through the pain barrier and Bailly subsequently helped off following an embarrassing crash with Mateo Kovacic.
Marcos Rojo had a header cleared off the line by Pedro in injury time, while De Gea spared from Gonzalo Higuain, but United will need to overcome Huddersfield Town and Cardiff City in their final two games and hope for some help everywhere if they are to secure Champions League football for second year.
What exactly does it imply? Top four at Chelsea’s palms
Due to Leicester City’s 3-0 defeat of Arsenal before, the draw gives Chelsea a two-point cushion to Arsenal and retains them three over United with two matches.
It means Maurizio Sarri’s guys, together with Tottenham, should now be clear favourites to finish fourth and third, though the Blues have possibly tricky games from Watford and Leicester to come.
Mata informs United what they can overlook
It appears likely Mata will leave Old Trafford at the end of the year, but this is a timely reminder – contrary to his previous team, no less – which he still has lots of quality to offer you.
De Gea issue continues
Solskjaer was determined he wouldn’t fall De Gea for this particular game. Following his third expensive mistake in four matches, and together with the best four still only about inside United’s hit, he may not have any choice.
Post continues under
Crucial Opta details
two – Excluding own objectives, Juan Mata is the next player to score for the two clubs at Premier League meetings involving Chelsea and Man Utd, following Mark Hughes. Conflict. #MUNCHE pic.twitter.com/l70T9diwbh
— OptaJoe (@OptaJoe) April 28, 2019
– Chelsea and Man Utd have attracted both Premier League meetings in one time for the fifth period, many recently doing this in 2015-16.
– Man Utd tried only seven shots against Chelsea — because 2003-04, they have just had fewer at a Premier League match at Old Trafford on four previous events.
– Chelsea are winless in their three matches against Man Utd across all contests this year (D2 L1) — the last time that they confronted them as many times in one effort without one success was in 2002-03 (D1 L2).
– Man Utd have kept a clean sheet at only 11percent of the league matches at Old Trafford this year (two /18), their lowest percent in one effort since 1962-63 (9.5percent – 2/21).
– Juan Mata is your third Man Utd player to evaluate a Premier League target on his birthday, following Wayne Rooney (vs Arsenal at 2004) and Anthony Martial (vs Arsenal in 2018).
– Because his Premier League debut for Chelsea at September 2016, Marcus Alonso has scored more goals than any other defender at the contest (15).
What is next?
United visit relegated Huddersfield Town following Sunday. In terms of Chelsea, a home game with Watford follows the initial leg of the Europa League semi-final with Eintracht Frankfurt.