10 Apr Liverpool v Porto Match Report, 09/04/2019, UEFA Champions League
Liverpool have one foot within the final 4 of the Champions League after easing previous a profilgate Porto at Anfield on Tuesday.
Naby Keita and Roberto Firmino have been on goal as Liverpool eased to a 2-Zero win within the first leg of their Champions League quarter-final in opposition to Porto.
The Portuguese champions had revenge on the thoughts after being dumped out by Jurgen Klopp’s facet within the final 16 of final yr’s competitors however a disappointing first-half efficiency has given them an almighty process in subsequent week’s return fixture on the Estadio do Dragao.
Keita’s second purpose in lower than per week bought the Reds up and operating after simply 5 minutes earlier than Firmino added a easy second within the 26th minute.
Liverpool did many of the urgent within the second half – Sadio Mane coming closest from lengthy vary – however they have been unable to discover a third that may have all however ended the tie as a contest.
A stable first leg, Reds.
— Liverpool FC (@LFC) April 9, 2019
Klopp’s facet began in usually pulsating vogue, powering into an early lead when Keita’s low effort from 15 yards was closely deflected previous Iker Casillas by the flailing Oliver Torres.
Mohamed Salah then clipped previous Casillas’ left-hand submit when it appeared simpler to attain after 22 minutes.
His blushes have been spared 4 minutes later, nonetheless, when Firmino tapped into an empty web from 5 yards after he had been picked out by Trent Alexander-Arnold’s low cross.
Moussa Marega ought to have pulled Porto again into it shortly after the half-hour mark however his low effort was stored out by the left foot of Alisson.
Mane – whose earlier volley had been dominated out for offside – curled narrowly previous Casillas’ left-hand submit from the sting of the penalty space 20 minutes from time.
Salah was fortunate to not be proven a pink card for an unsightly problem on Danilo Pereira within the closing levels as Porto – who once more got here shut by Marega – finally fell in need of discovering an away purpose that may have modified the complexion of subsequent week’s second leg.
What does it imply? Reds’ double bid stays on course
Any ideas that Liverpool’s quest for a primary Premier League title in 29 years would derail their Champions League marketing campaign have been dispelled by a consummate first-leg efficiency. They by no means appeared again after Keita’s early strike and shall be assured of ending the job in Portugal subsequent week. Porto, in the meantime, lacked high quality within the closing third and can take into account themselves fortunate to nonetheless be in with an opportunity of progressing to the final 4.
Keita making his mark
It has been a stop-start first season for the Guinea worldwide, however it appears to be like like he’s discovering his toes at simply the best time. He scored his first purpose for the membership in Friday’s Premier League win over Southampton and opened his European account for Klopp’s facet in what was an all-action show.
— Liverpool FC (@LFC) April 9, 2019
Marega’s run involves an finish
The Mali worldwide was seeking to turn out to be simply the fourth participant to attain in seven successive Champions League matches. His earlier accuracy was sorely lacking, although, as he wasted 5 first rate possibilities to seize a treasured away purpose.
Key Opta Stats
– Liverpool prolonged their unbeaten dwelling run throughout all European competitions to 21 video games (W15 D6); the Reds have stored 12 clear sheets on this run, conceding simply 15 objectives.
– Porto have by no means gained away at an English membership in 20 makes an attempt in all European competitions (D3 L17), probably the most a membership has performed away at English opposition with out ever incomes a win.
– This was Jurgen Klopp’s 400th win as a supervisor in all membership competitions, 111 of which have been with Liverpool (180 with Borussia Dortmund, 109 with 1. FSV Mainz 05).
– Porto have managed to win simply one in every of their 19 away video games within the knockout levels of the Champions League (D6 L11), shedding each this season to Roma and Liverpool.
– Keita has scored two objectives in his final two video games for Liverpool in all competitions, having scored none in his first 27 appearances for the membership beforehand.
– For the reason that begin of final season, solely Cristiano Ronaldo (24) has been immediately concerned in additional objectives within the Champions League than Liverpool’s Roberto Firmino (21 – 13 objectives, eight assists).
Article continues under
Forward of subsequent week’s second leg, Liverpool host Chelsea within the Premier League on Sunday, whereas Porto journey to Portimonese a day earlier within the Primeira Liga.